Delight Your Customers: Be a Sock-Knocker-Offer
Have you ever wished someone… Or perhaps someone has offered you the words of encouragement… “Knock their socks off!”
It means to wow or amaze someone. To go beyond what is expected.
The saying originates from boxing – when you bop your opponent so hard, you nearly knock them out of their socks.
- The meal was tasty, but the service was slow.
- The camera takes great pictures, but the battery doesn’t last very long.
- I’m having trouble with my credit card – luckily they have a 24-hour service number. When I called it, the recording said it would be a 32-minute wait.
I’m sure you have many similar examples.
As a customer – we love to have our socks knocked off. And, the good news as a marketer, business owner, or customer experience manager is that customers rarely expect it.
However, fixing the restaurant service, creating a battery power system that works, or properly staffing customer hotlines is NOT knocking someone’s socks off. Those actions are simply doing your job… Delivering what you’re supposed to deliver.
Sock-knocking-offing goes beyond.
To knock their socks off, you provide more than the required “AND” – you go beyond with two or three ANDs.
- The food was great, AND the service was very friendly, AND they knew it was our anniversary AND treated us to free wine and a dessert.
- With this camera, it is easy to take great pictures, AND the battery lasts forever, AND it came with a cleaning kit and case.
- The credit card company has a hotline, AND it is open 24-hours, AND you immediately reach a human.
Here… try to complete the below sentence, and see for yourself.
“We provide ________________ AND ________________, the full experience for our customers. We don’t stop there, however… AND we ________________. That’s how we knock their socks off.”
Is your company being a sock-knocker-offer? Are you doing both part one AND part two – the necessary requirements? Do you go beyond with more than one AND?