Don’t Like The Way Things Are At Work?
Sitting in a meeting wishing it didn’t “have to be this way” here? While it takes strength to manage through it, being a champion will help you change it.
Rolf Smith in his book, The 7 Levels of Change: Different Thinking for Different Results” offers seven levels of change… from basic to challenging.
While many of these are “easier said than done,” these changes will make a dramatic difference in the way you and your colleagues work.
LEVEL 1: EFFECTIVENESS – Doing the Right Things
- Set priorities
- Do what’s important first
- Become more effective
LEVEL 2: EFFICIENCY – Doing Things Right
- Follow procedures
- Clean up your mess
- Understand standards
- Become more efficient
LEVEL 3: IMPROVING – Doing Things Better
- Think about what you’re doing
- Listen to suggestions
- Find ways to improve things
- Help, coach, and mentor others
LEVEL 4: CUTTING – Doing Away With Things
- Ask “Why?”
- Stop doing what doesn’t count
- Use the 80:20 rule – Simplify
- Refocus continuously
LEVEL 5: COPYING – Doing Things Other People Are Doing
- Notice and observe more
- Think before you think
- Study best practices – benchmark
LEVEL 6: DIFFfERENT – Doing Things That Haven’t Been Done
- Think about thinking
- Combine new technologies
- Ask “Why not?”
- Focus on different, not similar, non-linear
LEVEL 7: DO THINGS THAT CAN’T BE DONE
- Question assumptions
- What’s impossible today, but…?
- Defocus: Get a little crazy
- Wouldn’t it be amazing if . . .”
- Break the rules!
- Where will it take pure magic?