How To Deal With Change
It is vexing, despite the fact that change constantly takes place in our lives, at times it can still throw us off-kilter?
In addition to the constant changes with the economy, prices, and jobs… we’ve got major changes coming in the White House.
So what can we do to not let change get the best of us?
Change: The Facts
NEVER: Change is never going to stop. In fact, they say the only constant in life IS change! So we need to get used to it, and make the best of it.
SOMETIMES: While you can’t always control change, you can often change the outcome. By anticipating change, you can ride the wave versus letting it knock you over. And when it does, I recommend following the wise advice from the band, Chumbawamba…
But I get up again.
You’re never going to keep me down.”
ALWAYS: You are always in control of how you act and react to the outcome of change. In fact, the only thing in life you can truly control is you!
More Advice About Change…
- Check out this terrific quote by Jean-Paul Sartre…
“Freedom is what you do
with what’s been done to you.”
- Anticipate change. Look for signs that change may be on the way so you can be better prepared when it arrives.
- Learn to see the upside of change, and make it work in your favor.
- Know the difference between things you can affect and the change that you have no control over. You’ve probably heard the phrase…
“Grant me patience to bear the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”
- Sometimes change simply requires understanding “It is what it is,” and moving on. Acceptance and understanding can take you further than waiting for things to change back.
My final piece of advice… Don’t forget the way “it was.” Change keeps ticking, what’s old often becomes “new” again.
I don’t think I’ll be chatting with you again until January. So I wish you now a warm holiday season, health, and best wishes into the New Year!
professional problem solver
Idea Sandbox • Seattle | Amsterdam